There’s a distinct possibility that, with everything that has happened in the last year, Directioners have finally snapped. Why, as a Directioner, would I say this? One word (or, more accurately, one sorta word turned into a hashtag):
“What is #Babygate?” you ask innocently, not realizing the sheer ridiculousness you are about to get yourself into. I want to say that it is an insane theory invented by a specific sub-fandom of Directions called the Larries… However, KG & I make an annual bet as to who can predict the most winners for the Oscars and we came to a unsatisfying tie this year… meaning we both have to follow through with the ridiculous post idea the other proposed for them. Last year I lost and was forced to write about Nic Cage’s better qualities. Ugh. I wanted to punch myself in the face with each word I wrote. This year is filled with less hate and more embarrassment for some of the theories I am about to share. Babygate is the drama surrounding the birth of One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson’s son. Theories involve faked photos, surrogacy, and how soon you can wear jeans after giving birth… but I don’t want to spoil anything. Here is a #Babygate primer to take you through the important points of the story:
Oh, and make sure to check out KG’s “Losers” post: Shadowhunters: Why Alec Lightwood is the Best (My Oscars Bet Loser Post)
Setting the Stage: Pregnancy Rumors & Confirmation
Sites such as People & newspapers like The Sun (in the UK) broke the news that Louis has knocked up a American girl, Briana Jungwirth, on July 14, 2015. Directioners didn’t know whether to believe it… that is until 3 weeks later when Louis himself confirmed it. On August 3, 2015 he responded to offerings of congratulations on Good Morning America with “Obviously it’s a really exciting time, so I’m buzzing, thank you.” As time goes on we learn that Louis & Briana are friends, not a couple, and we see them together a few times… but really not many considering she’s carrying his child. Louis also says he will not get an in vitro paternity test (which seems like a stupid idea).
At this point a faction of Directioners already don’t believe the whole “baby storyline”. While there is very little reason not to, they stand firm that this is a media ploy, not a real thing. Larries, aka the people who hardcore ship Louis & bandmate Harry Styles, decide that if Briana is pregnant it is as a surrogate for Louis & Harry. Their happy relationship is ready for the addition of their first child… apparently…?
The Birth of Drama: Freddie Reign is Born
On January 22, 2016 Briana gave birth to hers & Louis’s child. Slowly information surfaced, from sources like Briana’s Grandmother via Instagram, that it was a boy, and that his name was Freddie Reign. Louis was at the hospital for the birth and continued to remain in LA with his new baby.
This is where the #Babygate craziness really took off! Believers fell into line within two maintains of thought:
(1) Louis is not the Father
Of course people are questioning the baby’s parentage. When there is a girl who was not in a serious, monogamous relationship with a young, very rich star people are bound to question if her claims of “he’s the father” are true. Some people chose to respect Louis’ decision not to have a paternity test. Some people chose to respect it yet worry that this was a big mistake (like me). Some chose to think that he suspects the kid might not be his but is scared of being in too deep already and not being able to let go. Some chose to believe he already knows it’s not his and this is a big publicity stunt that will be revealed in a few months, leaving us feeling very sorry for the former boyband member left heartbroken & no longer a father. And some people choose to believe that the baby isn’t even real…
(2) Freddie is not Real
Yes, this is a thing. A scary-large portion of #Babygate-ers believe that Freddie Reign isn’t even real. The have analyzed every photo looking for proof. They started with the pregnancy pics, claiming the Briana’s baby-bump didn’t look right/sat wrong/generally was faked. Then they moved on to “leaving the hospital” photos. They disputed how the baby-carrier was being handled (surely it would be heavier with a child in it – they’re carrying that rather haphazardly considering it contains a newborn). They also tore apart Briana’s body & wardrobe, claiming she was too thin for having just given birth and that she wouldn’t have been able to be in heeled boots or jeans that quickly. And then there are the pictures of Louis with the baby. The general consensus between the #Babygate conspiracy theorists is that they are all photoshopped (although a few people think Louis rented a newborn from someone else to pose for the pics). People have dissected where Louis’ tattoos are and what other pictures the pieces could have been Frankensteined together from.
The End is Near? :
A lot of shit has went down recently that has only fanned the #Babygate flame… of course anything that happens in the 1D fandom can be twisted to fit the #Babygate storyline if you try hard enough (and people do try hard enough, especially the Larries). Here are a few of the “facts” so you can decide where you fall on the #Babygate issue:
- Louis dates Danielle Campbell: Because Louis couldn’t possibly have just met a girl & liked her, #Babygate-ers are sure this new love affair is a ruse. Larries are claiming that it is a cover. If Louis is going to have Freddie’s paternity tested and show that the baby isn’t actually his child, he first needs to establish how straight he is. Because if he didn’t have a girlfriend and also didn’t have a baby with another girl he has to be gay, right? What????? I find this whole thing very hard to swallow. First, even if the baby isn’t his (or real for that matter) it doesn’t mean he & Harry are a couple. And if the baby is his it also doesn’t mean he isn’t bisexual & still in love with Harry. Sexuality isn’t so black & white, and neither are relationships. There are just so many straws being grasped at here.
- Harry Styles is back with Kendall Jenner: Similarly, Larries claim that the push of this relationship is to establish Harry’s sexuality as well. They think it is to hide the ‘real’ Louis-Harry love affair.
- Louis moves out of his LA Home: But wasn’t the point of buying this house to be close to Freddie? Giving it up must mean he’s also giving up Freddie? At least that’s how #Babygate is framing it.
- Louis returns to his Partying Ways: Before the baby was born and for the first stretch afterwards Louis refrained from going out to the clubs, drinking into all hours of the night. We believed it was because he was taking fatherhood seriously… so is his return to his old, wild ways him saying he is no longer a father?
- Custody Battles Ensue: Rumors are flying about Briana denying Louis access to his child because he isn’t willing to pay enough in alimony. Instead of this being proof of his paternity #Babygate-ers are choosing to believe this is the out Louis needs for getting a paternity test. He said he wouldn’t, but with all of the legal drama it’s probably needed now, right?
- Liam Payne is with Cheryl: Instead of celebrating how incredibly gorgeous this pair is, #babygate-ers are busy claiming this is a distraction stunt. It’s meant to pull our eyes away from all of the Louis drama – the calm before the storm. Oh it’s also more proof of One Direction heterosexuality, apparently…
- Harry’s Mother’s iCloud is hacked – Personal Photos of Harry are leaked: Or were they? The main rumour surrounding this is that there was no hack and the leak was intentional. What was the point? To show off how straightity-straight Harry is, of course. I haven’t personally looked at the pics, but I hear there are a lot of candids of Harry & (former?) flame Kendall. Larries are adamant that everything is just to establish everyone’s heterosexuality before Louis makes the reveal that Freddie isn’t his… because your sexual orientation is obviously related to your ability to have a child.
Where do you fall on the #Babygate scale? And do you also hate KG for making me write this post? Let me know in the comments!
Love & Luck,
Research Sources: Tumblr in General