Today is a magical, magical day… Simon Cowell’s birthday, that is! I absolutely adore Mr. Cowell; he is pretty much always right. Except for the time he was a total jerk to Storm Lee on 1D’s season of X-Factor UK. That was pretty mean. But actually Storm Lee is kind of a silly name and Storm Lee is a strange person so I sort of get it. Anyways, basically Simon Cowell knows all – according to Kris and I at least – so I thought it was fitting to wish him a Happy Birthday from the team here at My Fangirl Life.
You probably already know that Simon Cowell is wickedly awesome, and that he is typically the “Big Bad” as far as judges are concerned on multiple reality singing shows. You might also know that he recently became a father for the first time, and that he is a music producer. But there is still lots you don’t know. To celebrate the wondrous day of his birth, I am going to surprise you with some fun facts about Simon Cowell that you likely have not yet come across. Because who doesn’t need to know more about reality TV’s favourite villain? Read on, Cowellians (do Simon Cowell fans have a name? Let me know if so in the comments – I definitely am one, whatever it is)!
- He’s always been a bit of a bad boy – The internet tells me that Simon was frequently reprimanded for bad behaviour when he was young, and that he was even kicked out of a couple schools!
- He really did start at the bottom – Simon’s first job in the music industry was in the mail room at EMI Music Publishing. He moved on up over time and eventually became an assistant to an A&R executive. From there, he left EMI to start E&S Music. That project did not last long, but it was how he got his start!
- He can walk on water – Or rather, word is that he has a trick walkway installed in the flame-lit waterfall that he has at home (obviously). This walkway allows him to appear to his guests as though he is walking on water.
- He’s forever young – It is a commonly known fact that Simon is a fan of Botox injections and all sorts of other anti-aging regimens. It’s important to him to maintain his youthful glow! Also, this is probably why he made 1D sing this song on the X-Factor UK.
- He’s really – like really – into flowers – Word on the internet is that Simon spends £3000 per week on fresh flowers! I want to know what kind of fancy arrangements he is getting for that amount. Maybe I should get into the floral business!
- He’s not down with technology – Simon has been known to say that he doesn’t know how to use computers or iPods. How does he get by??
- Everybody Hates Simon – Apparently American musician Nonnie Thompson was not happy with her experience working with Simon in the 90s. In 2006, she penned and released a song titled “I Hate You Simon Cowell”. It’s hard to find online, but it looks like it’s for sale in a couple places!
- He’s the man responsible for One Direction – Or at least the credit for placing the boys together goes to him in my books. This is why we love him.
There you have it – I hope I’ve taught you something about this amazing guy today. Let me know if I missed any of your favourite Simon Cowell facts in the comments, and don’t forget to wish the man a happy birthday at @SimonCowell on Twitter!