We love talking about fashion here on My Fangirl Life, but so far we have spent most of our time discussing our individual fashion types – you can read more about that in our Fangirl Fashion Files series. Today I’d instead like to share with you a trend that you should totally get on board with: Flower Crowns.
These have been all over the place recently – on fashion runways, on celebrities, and even on people on the street. Get on board with this trend today and you can also feel awesome and like a fairy frolicking in the woods.
I truly think that if you want to wear a flower crown, you can totally find one that works for you and your style. I like to wear crowns with large flowers and/or bright colours. Justine enjoys delicate crowns with less colour and smaller blossoms, and Kris likes “flower” crowns that are made more of leaves, metal, or leather. Either way, we’ve each found something that fits in with our fashion identity.
In fact, we’ve actually started to make our own! You can find them for sale over on our Etsy shop. The ones below are available, and look for more to be posted soon.
If you’re feeling ambitious and want to make your own too, here’s a quick overview of how to do so.
1) Cut a length of cord. Make sure it is long enough to wrap around your head and tie up, with some trailing ends.
2) Cut small rectangles of felt, large enough to go around the cord and some extra to secure on either side.
3) Choose flowers for inclusion and decide on design. Less is more if you’re planning on wearing this for everyday life. If this is for a wedding or other special occasion, you can probably go a little more crazy!
4) Take apart flowers so that just the minimum centre area and blossom remain. Many of them have a green section holding it together that can be pulled off.
5) Put some hot glue on a small felt piece. Stick the cord on next, ensuring it is in the right location for the blossom. Add the flower to the top and press the felt on both sides to ensure it’s secure.
6) Repeat for all blossoms and let dry.
7) Tie knots on the ends of the cord. You can also add beads to sparkle it up a little. Tie onto your head and check out how it looks!
That’s it… Easy enough, right?
You can wear flower crowns with many different outfits. It’s always a pretty and girly detail to add to a dress, or you can create some great contrast by wearing it with something more badass. Choose less colourful and less flowered crowns if that’s not your style… just find or make one that is!
Most of the flower crowns we will be posting on our shop are fandom-themed, which in my mind is just a bonus. Any way that I can add a touch of fandom fun to my outfit without most Muggles noticing is just brilliant.
I’m telling you, get in on this trend now… it’s such a fun detail to add to any outfit.
Have you ever worn a flower crown? What’s your favourite outfit to wear with one? Let us know in the comments!