Disney’s Beauty and the Beast leaves me with so many unanswered questions. So Many.
In the past I’ve confessed to getting too attached to fictional characters and that every work of fiction leaves me with hanging queries into the future of the protagonist, the villain, the side characters and the land in which they reside. But Beauty and the Beast falls into a whole other category; one where I have so many questions about the past, the nonsensical progression of plot points and the future of a land (aka late 18th century France) that didn’t even notice their liege lord was a vicious, furry Beast. You’ve probably never noticed because you are living in the bliss that Disney somehow creates… Seriously, I once had a headache on the way to Disneyland Paris. It disappeared as soon as I entered the park and came back immediately upon leaving. It’s freaking magic. But I digress…
We recently watched Beauty and the Beast again and compiled a list of all of our unanswered questions: (Spoiler Alert: There are 32. Thirty Two!)
1. Why does Prince Adam live far off in this castle without his parents? If he is 11 in the Prologue (I’ll get to the math later) why is he not with his mother still? Did she send him away from court because she hates him? Even if he is a younger son and not the Dauphin (aka the future King of France) he should still be protected in case his older brother dies (at war, from the plague, by assassination, the possibilities are endless) and he becomes heir to the throne.
2. How does time & aging work with this curse? It’s later mentioned (in “Be Our Guest”) that it’s been 10 years since the curse was cast. And the Beast must find love before his 21st birthday. So logic would dictate that he was 11 at the time of the curse. However he looks much older than 11 in the prologue.
3. And on the subject of aging, Chip is not even 10 yet. So was he born during the curse? If so how does tea pot pregnancy and birthing work?
4. A possible solution is that the inhabitants of the castle do not age while the curse is on them. So Chip was a young child when it was cast and continues to stay at that state until the curse was broken. And Prince Adam logically looks the same pre and post beastification. But then how do you explain the Prince needing to find love before he turned 21?
5. Another question that arises from that train of thought: If the curse hadn’t been broken would the castle inhabitants have been immortal? The Enchantress did say the Beats would be force to be alone watching the world “forever.”
6. Where did the Magic Mirror come from? The Enchantress? Or did he already have a Magic Mirror just lying around?
7. Why does the book seller allow Belle to borrow books? His sign clearly says “Book Seller”, not Library. And based on how the other peasants react to Belle’s reading she is bound to be his best customer. Is he letting a pretty face screw him out of much needed profits?
8. What happened to Belle’s mother? They don’t appear to be mourning her, so she probably didn’t leave them recently. But can you imagine Maurice raising Belle alone? I can’t, he seems rather inconsistent & unreliable.
9. Why isn’t there a clear road for Maurice to follow to get to the next town? Why are there no signs in the woods? Sure people didn’t travel as much back then but I assume trade routes would exist.
10. How is finding the castle a shock to Maurice? Sure peasants as ignorant of much having to do with their royalty but you’d think someone would have noticed there’s a castle within an hour’s ride from town. (We know it’s that close from the “Mob Song” sequence. It took Maurice longer to get there because he wandered about lost.)
11. Has no one been collecting taxes, etc in this town for the last 10 years? You can assume that a castle that close means that Belle’s ‘poor provincial town’ is part of Price Adam’s land holdings. But all of his staff are now animated inanimate objects so they can’t exactly be carrying out normal out-of-the-castle functions.
12. Is there now a super rich tax collector that managed to evade the curse and who has been embezzling Prince Adam’s funds while he’s beastified?
13. Lumiere can magically light and un-light himself? Is this a fun part of his curse? Or is it a really a defence mechanism to keep from melting all of his wax away and presumably dying? He has to decide what is worth melting for.
14. Is Belle doing anything to get this “more” she dreams of? She doesn’t appear to be. Perhaps she’s hoping her father will become a famous inventor and she can just ride his coattails into society?
15. Did Chip get his chip as a tea cup or a human? How does having a large chunk of your object form missing manifest itself when you’re human again?
16. Isn’t Mrs. Potts too old to have such a young child? She looks well past her childbearing years.
17. Are all the other tea cups children too? If so, who are their parents? If they’re Mrs. Pott’s too she is showing some blatant favouritism. If they are not then why don’t they get to be something related to their parents?
18. Who is Chip’s father? He’s obviously out of the picture by the time the movie takes place. Did he die prior to the curse? Or is he an unfortunate victim of the West Wing?
19. Are all of the broken pieces of furniture in the West Wing servants the Beast has murdered? If so, that will make for some awkward conversations when the curse is lifted.
20. Is the town bar owned by Gaston? Or has some other bar owner just put a shrine to him on the wall? Maybe Gaston actually works as an interior decorator? That’s why there are antlers everywhere and a giant portrait of him above the fire.
21. Why do some of the dishes/furniture/etc have faces and some do not? Much of the chorus for “Be Our Guest” is filled with faceless place settings. Do they all get faces but only show them when they choose to? Or are some of the objects people-turned-to-objects (they get faces) and other objects are objects-brought-to-life (no faces)? This might help with the next question…
22. What happened to all of the objects about the castle when the curse set in? Did the newly objectified court of Prince Adam pack boxes of dishes and furniture away in storage for the time that they are filling those roles themselves?
23. Is Lumiere psychic? Because the Eiffel Tower was still still a hundred years away and yet there it was in his show-stopping musical number.
24. Do all of the household objects hang out all day and practice choreographed numbers in hopes that someone will one day come to see them? Because “Be Our Guest” seemed pretty well rehearsed.
25. Who was taking care of Phillippe the horse while Belle has been falling in Stockholm Syndrome style love with the Beast? Did the stable hands turn to brushes and poop-scooping shovels?
26. How did Belle get the Beast on the horse post wolf attack? He is too heavy for her to lift and he was unconscious.
27. Is there a map of the castle grounds somewhere? Because the “Something There” courtyard, the extended edition’s “Human Again”s gardens and the climatic battle’s cliffs do not seem to fit together in how the castle is situated.
28. Belle’s favourite thing is reading. Plus she’s super curious and loves to explore. And yet after Lumiere and Cogsworth tell her there is a library (before she goes into the West Wing) she never goes looking for it? That seems unrealistic. (Because the rest of this movie is so true to life.)
29. How do the castle residents get food? While in inanimate object form the court & servants probably don’t need to eat, but the Beast still needs nourishment. With only one ‘person’ eating the castle stores would last a very long time, but what about produce? There were fresh looking foods in “Be Our Guest” that had to come from somewhere and it couldn’t have been the mysteriously placed gardens because it was winter.
30. Why has no one discovered this cursed castle before? Towns folk delivering food? Prince Adam’s family? Families of the servants who never came home? Or families of the member of the Prince’s court who came in search of land, titles, fame or spouses? Someone had to have looked into things within 10 years!
31. Does Belle still call him “Beast” post-transformation? Or is he like “Oh hey, my name is Adam by the way.”? Why didn’t he tell her his name earlier? Especially if he was trying to make himself seem more human whilst wooing her. Having a girl call you Beast all the time is pretty good reminder that she is falling in interspecies love.
32. Who is Prince Adam? I don’t believe he’s a real prince and worry that Belle is now part of some intense catfish-style scheme. While writing this post I looked up when Beauty and the Beast takes place: late 18th century France. But there is no Prince Adam in the history books. Watch out Belle, Stockholm Syndrome might not be your only worry.
Do you have any more Beauty and the Beast related questions? Let me know in the comments!
Love & Luck,