2015 is over. It was a magical year, full of adventure, geekdom, and a whole lot of blogging. It was a good year, and it went by rather quickly. We are now in the process of catapulting into 2016, making things bigger and better and even more nerdy. In order to help ourselves to achieve that, we’ve decided to again set ourselves some fangirl New Year’s Resolutions. We did this last year (check it our here) and some of us were more adroit at achieving them than others… read on to find out what we did, what we are still working on, and what we are resolving to do in 2016.
Kris achieved two of her three resolutions from last year, in that she gave DC a chance and finished reading Game of Thrones, so she’s carrying one over:
Watch LOST and document all of the questions it raises (to track if they are answered).
She’ll be adding three new fangirl resolutions for 2016. Here is her list:
- Expand our library of Listen & Learn educational posts by adding at least 3 lesser-known artists or groups to the collection.
- Compile a list of fanfictions that are actually worth your time, encompassing many of our favourite fandoms.
- Become an expert on the new canon Star Wars Expanded Universe by reading/watching all of it.
I also achieved two of my three resolutions for last year in that I learned to play a One Direction song (“I Want To Write You A Song”) and a Taylor Swift song (“All To Well”) on my ukulele, and I did my first actual planned cosplay (and many other besides). I will also be carrying over one goal:
Watch Doctor Who so I can (a) understand the references, (b) understand the cosplay, and (c) get Kris & Justine to stop harassing me to watch it. And also because I might like it.
I’ve honestly started on this one, but I need to watch it all so I can fully experience the fandom. I’ll also be adding three new resolutions to my list and they are as follows:
- Watch all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies in order, to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.
- Get more involved in our local geek community by planning a nerdy event.
- Finish replaying Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, including ALL of the sidequests.
Justine sadly did not achieve any of her 2015 resolutions (though she did get involved in many other things this year)! She’ll be carrying them all over:
3. Make a soufflé in my Soufflé Girl outfit.
2. Get into Downton Abbey. It seems like something that is up my alley.
1. Get caught up on Supernatural. It takes awhile. As of the end of 2014 there have been 204 episodes…that’s approximately 153 hours (without commercials)…almost 6.5 days of my life.
She’s also adding three new ones to her list for 2016:
- Read the first two Outlander books, at least.
- Expand our collection of Fangirl Guides to Historical Figures by adding at least 3 more areas of study to the fangirl educational curriculum.
- Start sewing a Disney Princess ball gown cosplay.
What are your fandom-themed New Year’s Resolutions? We’d love to hear them so share with us in the comments and we can keep each other accountable!