You may already be aware that I’m in love with Broadway musicals. “Do You Hear the People Sing?“ remains the most played song in my iTunes, followed by “Let it Go“. Funnily, I just recently realized that a Broadway show and a Disney movie are essentially the same thing. While I’m still mega obsessed with all things Disney, I like to think my musicals obsession is a little more grown up. Because the themes of revolutionary France in Les Mis aren’t exactly Disney material.
Which brings me to Hamilton. A few months ago I remember hearing murmurs of this show and how fantastic the soundtrack was. However, I didn’t pay much attention to it at this stage. I was a little skeptical of this ‘rap and hip-hop musical’, as I’m more of a fan of the classics. That was until I saw their live performance at the Grammys and one of my best friends became obsessed. So I bought the 46 song soundtrack and fell in love just like that. It’s been a couple of weeks now and I still can’t get enough.
There are 46 songs on the Hamilton Original Broadway Cast Recording. It comes in at 2 hours and 23 minutes. This is a little much for a quick listen, so I’m here to tell you the highlights:
Highlights from Hamilton
1. Alexander Hamilton – Fantastic start to the show. This is the song I first fell in love with.
2. My Shot – This song is always stuck in my head.
3. The Schuyler Sisters – I want to be a Schuyler Sister, this song is such a great intro for these girls.
4. You’ll Be Back – Jonathan Groff ❤️
5. Helpless – I love all the songs the girls sing, such talents.
6. Satisfied – Angelica is fabulous; this song is so good.
7. Wait For It – It’s hard to hate Burr when he sings songs like this.
8. Non-Stop – There are a number of parallels here with “One Day More“, which is everything I love.
9. Cabinet Battle #1 – because obviously cabinet meetings consist of rap battles between Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton.
10. Say No To This – The different vocals and beat in this song are so intriguing, it’s hard to say no to this.
11. The Room Where It Happens – This also is always stuck in my head.
12. Burn – This might be my favourite, you can just feel Eliza’s pain.
13. It’s Quiet Uptown – This song is hauntingly sad and truly memorable.
14. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story – Brings it all home with the concluding song from the show, and suddenly Alexander Hamilton is the Founding Father I know the most about.
All I want to know now is what happens between the songs. The run-time is close to 3 hours, that’s 40 minutes of Hamilton I can’t wait to see. Maybe some day I’ll be able to score a ticket to this hit show. In the meantime, I’ll keep listening to the soundtrack and eagerly wait for the Tony Awards in a few months (Hamilton is bound to dominate).
What’s your favourite song from Hamilton? Did it make my list? Let me know in the comments!
Till next time.
– Justine Alyssa
Photos: Hazelandformosa on tumblr made the excellent collages