This Tuesday was an ultra exciting day on television. We were graced with the mid-season premiere of Pretty Little Liars – with the intriguing #5YearsForward jump – and the series premiere of Shadowhunters, the new series based on Cassandra Clare’s book series The Mortal Instruments. Obviously we are obsessed with both of these fandoms and as the good fangirls we are, we’re dedicating an entire week to discussing these thrilling television debuts. Welcome to PLL/Shadowhunters Week on My Fangirl Life!
On Tuesday we were able to catch the first two episodes of Shadowhunters as well as the premiere of Pretty Little Liars 5 Years Forward. After my PLL binge-watch this past summer I am very happy it’s back, and I am so excited to see where they go with Shadowhunters. This show has a lot of potential.
Watching both shows we drew a surprising number of parallels between Ezra Fitz and Magnus Bane. I love Ezra. I also love Magnus. And it has recently come to my attention that they have a number of things in common. Are you curious as to what these are? Please read on!
- They are both in love with someone whose name starts with the letter A – Ezra loves Aria and Magnus love Alec. Such an obvious parallel to start us off.
- They are both in love with someone whose name has 4 letters – How the names start isn’t the only similarity. Both Aria and Alec only have 4 letters! Yes I’m aware his real name is Alexander, but he’s very rarely called that.
- They both make up half of my PLL and TMI OTPs – I was 100% on board with Ezria from the first episode of PLL and, while it took a bit longer for this relationship to form in The Mortal Instruments, Malec would definitely be my OTP from this series.
- They both own an establishment where people gather and buy beverages – This is one of my main questions after binge-watching PLL last summer: How did Ezra end up owning The Brew? It doesn’t really matter how, he owns it and people spend a lot of time there. In Shadowhunters, Magnus appears to be the owner of Pandemonium. This is a change from the book, but a welcome one. I imagine we’ll be spending a lot of time here in future episodes.
- They are both often considered too old for their true loves – Ezra is how much older than Aria? 10 years? That’s nothing. Magnus is somewhere around 400. That’s just a couple years older than his 18 year old boyfriend.
- They have both been to South America – Ezra appears to have spent a lot of time there during the past 5 years and we all know that Magnus has famously been to and is banned from Peru.
- They are both in/have been in relationships that are considered forbidden – Student/Teacher relationships are frowned upon in any world, and in the Shadowhunters world a relationship between a Shadowhunter and a Downworlder is definitely not encouraged.
- They are both the wise older character in their friends group – Both characters spend a lot of their time hanging out with a group who is much younger than them. What is it with teenagers luring in the older men? Being the older members of the group they are often a bit wiser than the rest and provide a different perspective.
- They both have ulterior motives when we first meet them – We find out later on that, at first, Ezra was researching his book about Ali’s death. And when we meet Magnus he is the powerful High Warlock of Brooklyn working to keep Clary’s memories hidden. It’s not till things start progressing between him and Alec that he starts helping out the Shadowhunter gang as more of a friend.
Now I’m just waiting for Ezra to embrace his love for glitter. What better way for him to get out of his current slump!?! They’re practically the same person. Do I have you convinced?
Thanks for reading, you’re welcome!
– Justine Alyssa