Our friend Kristy is a big fan of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, and she’s going to be writing episode recaps for your enjoyment all season long. Today she’s here to share her thoughts on Season 3 Episode 5! In case you want to catch up on any of her previous fangirl recaps, you can check them all out here.
Summary: Jemma is stuck on a hellish planet, is a total badass, meets space boy, and then proceeds to rip our hearts out. 😳😎👽💔
There are MANY spoilers in the following paragraphs, so be warned!
This recap took a long time for me to write, since this episode gave me more than a few things to think about. There’s a lot of speculation and theorizing involved in this recap, as I feel that things weren’t quite what they seemed. Hope you enjoy my ramblings, and you get a cookie if you make it to the end!
First things first. POOR JEMMA. She went through total hell. The episode is titled “4,722 hours”, which roughly translates to SIX AND A HALF MONTHS. She was on that forsaken planet for OVER SIX MONTHS. 😯😧😵
Alrighty, let’s start analyzing, shall we?
As soon as Jemma realizes she’s stuck on the planet and that Fitz isn’t immediately behind her, she gets to work. Initially she falls easily into scientist mode and starts assessing the situation and landscape. She soon realizes there are no readily available food or water sources, so she takes a nap and says goodnight to Fitz*cue the sobbing around the globe*. 😢
After three days with no sun, food, or water, she starts to crack. This is perfectly understandable, and I’m personally surprised she lasted that long. If it were me in that situation, I think I would start to break down far sooner than that.
Jemma realizes she can’t stay where she is, as she’ll die from hunger and thirst, so she sets out on an adventure, and leaves an arrow made out of rocks for Fitz to follow if he makes it through the portal. And on the rocks, she leaves her necklace. I mention that in particular, because the necklace is of importance and comes back into play further in the episode. I will discuss this later.
She then walks for what seems like 20 hours. 20 HOURS. POOR SCIENCE BABY. And gets blasted by a sand storm, and to her delight, finds a source of water. But of course, in the little pool THERE’S A POND BEAST THAT ATTACKS HER. Being the badass that Jemma Simmons is, she kills it, cooks it, eats it, then burps really loudly.
The whole time so far, she has been talking to a picture of Fitz on her phone, and my Fitzsimmons heart has been SCREAMING with joy. ❤️❤️❤️ To me, this truly indicates that Jemma was, in fact, in love with Fitz before all this happened, and I still think she is. But I’ll get back to that later.
Jemma meets a space guy… and wait… WHAT?! Ok before this episode came out, tons of people were speculating that she was going to meet a guy in space, but I honestly didn’t believe it. So this threw me. Turns out Will (space boy) was part of NASA and had been trapped on the planet for 14 years. 🚀 I’m going to just jump forward and go on a whim that you watched the episode (if not… WHY ARE YOU READING SPOILERS?) so this doesn’t turn into a Summary.
I would like to quickly say, I know the FitzSimmons fandom is in an uproar over the Jemma/Will romance. As an extremely dedicated FS shipper (since the very first episode), this plot development hurt me; it really hurt me. 💔 Even though I was hurt, it made sense to me. They were stranded, by themselves, very well thinking they’d never see another human again. Attachment and feelings are inevitable, even just for your sanity. I do truly believe that Jemma loves Fitz, and would pick Fitz over Will any day, but Will was there, and an important part of her survival. And just because she developed feelings for Will, doesn’t lessen her feelings for Fitz. I just had to get that out.
Anyways, onto the interesting stuff…
This is where things get weird for me, and where things start to not make a whole lot of sense.
I’ve compiled an entire list of all the things during this episode that seemed out of place.
1) Will is eternally young. Will has been trapped on the planet for 14 years. What’s the median age to become an astronaut. 25 at the minimum? Most likely 30, but let’s stick with 25. That means he is now between 39-40 years old. He has not aged a day since NASA arrived on the planet. I don’t think this is a simple make up continuity error. Something is up! I personally believe you would be at least 30 years old after all the training it takes to become an astronaut. THINK OF ALL THE SCHOOLING. He would be between 44-45 years old. Simply put, WILL HASN’T AGED. Something funky is going on. 👽
What does this mean?
-Do you not age on the planet?
-Does Will even exist? I’ve been speculating that perhaps Jemma was hallucinating Will as a coping mechanism for her sheer exhaustion and terror. I get into that more later.
-Is Will the death figure that Jemma mentioned and it took another form so it could get closer to her? More on that later too.
2) How does Will even still know how to be human? After being trapped, ALONE, hiding and fighting for your life for 14 years, you’d be more beast than man. Technically speaking, he should have been far more primal than he was, even perhaps forgetting how to speak. Now I know SHIELD is a family show, but you’d think he’d attack the first person he saw in real life, and not know how to relate in an emotional, complex way anymore. He physically would still be a man… but he had no one but himself, nothing to keep him busy and his mind working, and was between life and death anytime he ventured outside. I don’t think this was a writing error, I think something was off once again.
3) DID WILL KILL HIS TEAM? Personally I hope not, but just a detail I noticed.
*At this moment, I would like to clarify that I don’t hate the character Will. Whatever he is, he was a good character, and crucial to Jemma’s survival. And obviously, I feel very bad for him if he was actually stuck on a planet alone for 14 years. That would be absolute hell. The point I’m trying to make is… I don’t trust him, (more like I don’t trust the Whedons… they can be evil geniuses) and I feel like there are more dangerous, bigger things at play here.*
4) How is Will even still alive? The death figure drove his whole team mad, or killed them. How did it not do the same to him? What I’m speculating is…. I think it did. I think “death” got him, and is using him as bait for Jemma. My reasoning for this is…
5) Will reminds Jemma of someone. Twice during the episode, Jemma looked at Will and mentioned that he reminded her of someone, and then got lost in thought. Once again, this isn’t just idle chit-chat. This is relevant somehow, we just don’t know how yet. And this is where my theory that “death” has taken over Will comes in again. I think perhaps “death” has taken the likeness of someone Jemma knows in order to gain her trust. If you can remember, Will didn’t want her to go to the “no-fly zone”. Why is that? He never fully told her what was there and she found all sorts of items hidden in that area. Maybe the “death” figure doesn’t want her there because she might discover something? Maybe it needed her for something?
*I would also like to mention, if “death” has taken over Will, I’m not sure he’s aware of it, as his intentions seem true. But then again, looks can be deceiving. *cough*WARD*cough* Time will tell.
6) Jemma has her necklace again? In a later scene before they’re off to view a very quick sunrise, Jemma is shown putting on her necklace again. This sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Jemma clearly left her necklace back where she left the rock figure for Fitz. From what we saw, that was about a 20 hour walk. I HIGHLY doubt they walked back that far for a necklace, with “death” walking around, trying to kill them. Once again, I don’t think this is an error. They showed the necklace, purposefully on screen, twice. This is indicating something foul at play. One of my many theories on this episode, is that Jemma was hallucinating for part of it, and that the necklace acted as sort of bookends for her gaps in memory. I could be completely off base, but I think part of this has to do with the fact that……
7) Jemma’s PTSD symptoms don’t correlate with what we saw on screen. Now, of course the first month when she was alone, was absolutely traumatic. That would be a totally understandable cause for PTSD. And I’d say that if her entire six and a half months were like that, then it would make sense. But after a month, she met Will, and started to trust him, and other than her couple run-ins with the “death” figure, she was mostly safe, had human (what we believe to be human) contact, and seemed to be alright for the most part. When they were waiting for the sunrise, I would even argue that she looked happy.
So flash back to the Jemma Simmons home and safe with SHIELD.
-Why does she jump whenever she hears even the smallest of noises?
-Why does she genuinely look afraid all the time?
-Why did she wake up with a makeshift shiv in her hand? If Jemma and Will were sleeping next to each other (which they definitely implied), why would she be so anxious and jumpy? They were safe in the bunker.
It just doesn’t add up.
If you’re still reading this, I truly applaud you. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 This was a lengthy recap, mostly because so many things felt off to me, and I think they were intended to be that way.
I feel like there are definitely other forces at play. We’re far from seeing the end of that planet. I believe it’s going to be a large part of this season. We just have to wait to see how.
Will is now alone again. Did he kill “death”? Did “death” get him?
SO MANY QUESTIONS!
Anyways, that’s all for now, check back next week for another review/rant!
Ciao for now,