I’ve written a couple posts so far in our Fangirl Fashion Files series, but this is the first focusing on my specific style. Check out the previous posts in this series for tips on identifying and defining your style! It’s all about being exactly who you want to be. Now, a short introduction to my own personal style, which was included in a previous post:
I’ve always had a tough time choosing a style from the list that is typically provided in magazines. I’m not “Glam”, “Sporty”, “Boho”, “Classic”, “Trendy”, or any of those other generic styles. As it turns out, I am actually “Hipster Folk Princess”, a combination of a few different things, but one that is very me. It’s like how I just don’t fit into any of the Harry Potter houses. My friends try to shoehorn me into Hufflepuff, but that’s not who I am at all. It’s like in Divergent when you have to choose your faction. “No, I don’t,” I always say. “I am more than just one thing!”
Yes, that’s right “Hipster Folk Princess”. That’s what I’m going with. And it’s pretty perfect, honestly. It captures the modern, hipster-like, hippie-ish, colourful, pretty, whimsical, and fun mixing pot that is my style. I like sparkles and pretty things, but I like pairing them with denim or a structured bag. I like high-waisted skirts and crop tops, and coloured tights. I like dresses and I hate pants (though I’m growing into this one). I like to wear colourful bows in my hair and sparkly accessories. But I also like the unexpected contrast of something really pretty with something a little more edgy or grungy.
Today I’d like to share with you some of my recent favourite outfits for inspiration. If you want to dress like me, great (though I kind of doubt that many people will), but I hope that instead of doing so, you can take some parts of my style that you like and incorporate them into something that is your very own.
I think this outfit is so fun. It has touches of whimsy with the necklace, the pattern of the dress, and the detailing on the cardigan, but the “work boots”, as I like to call them, are a stark contrast to the rest of the outfit. Unfortunately, I didn’t buy any of the above pieces all that recently, but I’m sure you can find good alternatives elsewhere. For interest, here’s where everything is from:
- Dress: I cannot remember for the life of me where this one came from, but it is stretchy and very comfortable.
- Cardigan: From Target.
- Boots (or “my ‘work’ boots”, as I like to call them): I bought these at The Bay. I believe they were from Madonna’s collection.
- Necklace: A gift from a friend.
- Tights: Dollarama! I was pleasantly surprised by this.
- Bag: Coach – It’s called “Kristin”, so I obviously had to buy it.
I love this outfit for work! Given, my office is a bit more casual than some so I can get away with things like this, but I still think it is a great formal look. The skirt of this dress makes me feel like I’m a princess, and the blazer dresses it up a little more. The polka dot tights add a touch of fun. Again, none of these items are all that recent, but here is where I got them from:
- Dress: Justine’s closet, actually. It was one of the things I acquired when we were going through our closets and figuring out what actually worked for each of us.
- Blazer: Dynamite.
- Tights: Kris’s closet! Another thing I acquired when she stopped keeping things she wouldn’t wear.
- I wore this outfit with tall black boots also bought at The Bay, though you can’t see them in the picture.
I wore the above outfit to work, but this is a great outfit for a casual day out as well. The dress is adorable (I actually wish I had a picture of the back to show you – but perhaps on another post), and I love to wear it with denim. That and the “work boots” – see, I’m wearing them again! – help to give the heart-patterned dress a little more edge. Here’s where it’s all from:
- Dress: Urban Outfitters. I found this in the clearance section for like $8 over a year ago.
- Denim Shirt: The Gap. They’re my go-to for these.
- Boots: The Bay
- Watch: Target
- Necklace: This was a gift from Kris. I like it because it looks like Liam Payne’s tattoo (see? Fangirl reference).
- Tights: Target
Since I’ve got a few photos of outfits that I may not get to breaking down on this blog, here are a collection of other ideas.
Honestly, my biggest challenge is that my wardrobe ends up not having enough basic items to pair with all the fun, unique items that always seem to catch my eye. This is something I’m working on – I think that any wardrobe is a constant work-in-progress, so it’s time for you to get started on yours! I hope this all serves as some inspiration for you to get started on identifying, defining, and refining your style. Let me know what makes your fashion sense tick. I’d love to hear what inspires your style.