“Who’s singing now?”
“How about now?”
This is a common thing to hear from members of the My Fangirl Life Team whilst listening to boy band music…or girl group music, let’s give the ladies their due. It’s actually one of our favorite games (ranking somewhere around the Justin Bieber game, Settlers of Catan and The Legend of Zelda on N64). It’s not hard to play. The rules are as follows:
Step 1 – Listen to a song.
Step 2 – Try to guess who is singing at any point in the song.
And that’s it. It’s so simple and yet can produce hours of enjoyment.
KG & I like to institute this game when listening to One Direction with Justine. Being newer to the 1D fandom and a less dedicated Directioner (she hasn’t even seen all of their season of the X-Factor…I mean seriously) she actually finds it challenging. “They all sound the same,” she claims. “Um, no,” we reply.
Now I know what you’re thinking, “But they do all sound the same.” To that I reply again, “Um, no.” So you come back at me with, “Ok so there are some changes to the voices but how am I ever to recognize which belongs to which boy?” Never fear reader, I have a few tips to get you started. Consider this section of the post ‘How to Win at The Who’s Singing Now Game: 1D Edition’.
1. Start by learning Louis; he is by far the easiest to recognize. His voice is distinctly higher than the other boys’. If you hear a move up the scale in the melody, guess Louis.
2. However don’t get a higher melody confused with falsettos & crazy high notes.
Louis = normal singing voice but slightly higher. “You know I know you know I’ll remember you.”(Best Song Ever – 1:57)
Liam = falsetto sections (aka extended periods at a very high note). “Does he know you can move it like that?” (Does He Know? – 2:11)
Harry = single high notes in the early albums. “It’s gotta be yooooouuuuuuuu” (It’s Gotta Be You – The Chorus)
Zayn = single high notes in newer albums. “The Best Song Everrrrrrr” (Best Song Ever – 2:53)
3. Despite Liam’s tendency to take the falsettos he actually has the lowest solos. If it sounds lower guess Liam.
4. If the voice has a bit of grit & gravel it is Harry.
5. Zayn is the soul of the group. He does a lot of the Oooo’s and runs and R&B style adlib sections.
6. Niall is hard to describe. He has no distinct tell to his voice until you start to naturally recognize it. He does tend to take a lot of the soft, intimate moments in songs…but not all of them so be careful at using that as a surefire give-away.
7. Practice makes perfect. YouTube is full of lyric videos in which they list or show a photo of who is singing. Watch a couple, then when you think you have the hang of it turn the screen around. Guess to yourself then turn the screen around. A word of warning though, you can’t trust everything you read on the internet; sometimes the videos can be wrong.
8. When in doubt guess with the percentages. Harry sings the most. Then Liam & Zayn. Followed by Niall (who is receiving more solo time with each album). With Louis coming in a distant 5…his tenor voice just doesn’t lend itself to solos as well.
Hope this helps you impress your friends and beat your enemies! Good Luck!
Love & Luck,